Friday, June 8, 2012

The Book Thief



Discuss any interesting or confusing aspects of the novel with your classmates.

Your responses should be approximately 50-words in length. Be sure to use textual evidence when appropriate. Going over the suggested word count or under that word count is acceptable as long as your response is detailed and direct. Be sure to read the “Scoring Rubric” before posting your response. Also, review your responses for correctness before posting.

Respond often and in a timely manner. It is okay to post a response and then check back days later to see if anyone has responded to you or asked you a question. You will be able to (and expected to) respond to this post throughout the course of the summer.

Simply click on "Comments" below to post your comment. Be sure to type your full name by clicking on the "Name/URL" option or login to your Google account and post your comment.

3 comments:

  1. The beginning of this book was a bit confusing to me. I didn't understand that death was the narrator so I had to really read over what the first few chapters were saying before I completely understood. But once I did understand and everything made sense, I began really enjoying the book, which is something that I struggle with. I didn't know if I was alone in being a bit confused at the beginning, did you all struggle with it too? But, once I understood I couldn't put the book down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I was confused in the beginning, but once I figured it out, like you said Hayley, I couldn't put the book down. Overall what I liked about the book was how the readers get to see Liesel mature through out it. She starts out as a little girl who is haunted by her little brother's death in her dreams and then she turns into a young lady who hates Hitler and has a Jew for one of her best friends. Also, I can say I wasn't surprised by the ending about the bomb on Himmel street, because Death gave the readers so my hints. It's like he was trying to ease us into it. Were any of you surprised by the ending?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree. I was confused at first about death being the narrator. It's pretty unusual compared to most of the books I have read, but eventually I caught on. I kept thinking that death was an actual person because it seems like death had a lot of human-like qualities. I really can connect to Liesel. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I grew up reading all the time. Liesel gained lots of power through the books she had stolen and read, eventually writing her own. When I was younger, I read for enjoyment and I found it as something that helped me develop into who I am. I too found books as my power. This might be wrong, but I think that language had helped Liesel mature and grow into her own self. It helped her deal with all the loss she had previously experienced and grow into a smart young lady. Hitting the topic about the bomb on Himmel street, I wasn't very surprised either. With so many hints stated, it's pretty much expected. Even though I knew it was going to happen it still made me sad, especially when she is rescued from the rubble.

    ReplyDelete